Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Homemade Peppermint Patties

My favorite candies are Milk Duds, sour gummy worms, and York Peppermint Patties. When I saw a recipe for homemade peppermint patties, what choice did I have but to try it? (it's probably only a matter of time before I attempt to make homemade Milk Duds...) Making these is not easy. Or rather, it's not easy to make these aesthetically pleasing. Maybe my problem was I could only find milk chocolate dipping chips, instead of dark chocolate. However, these taste GREAT, nearly better than the original. They made my teeth hurt because they were so sweet, but it was worth it. Unfortunately this is another instance where I forgot to take photos and barely captured two photos on my phone as an afterthought. Whoops.

Peppermint Patties
Original recipe here at NoshwithMe.com

  • 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 cups semisweet chips or dipping chocolate (harder to find than I expected)
  • 2 teaspoons shortening, if not using dipping chocolate

In a large mixing bowl, combine condensed milk and peppermint extract. Beat in enough confectioners' sugar, a little at a time, to form a stiff dough that is no longer sticky. Form into 1 inch balls, then place on waxed paper and flatten with your palm or the side of your fist to form patties. Let patties dry at room temperature for two hours, turning once

In a double boiler over low heat, melt chocolate (with shortening, if not using dipping chocolate,) stirring often. Brush chocolate onto patties with pastry brush. Let cool on waxed paper until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment